Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ketchup & Catch Ups

I made rice & veggies for din-din last night. Growing up, I was taught to put ketchup on my rice & gravy. A southern thing? Maybe a Louisiana thing? I'm not sure. While I often leave it off these days, there's a sense of nostalgia when I add the ketchup that just makes me think of my daddy & being a kid. Daddy would have been 57 years old. He's been gone for about 24 years.... Sigh. So I added ketchup to my rice last night, and my Lake did the same. Lennon, well... she cried when I added it to hers.

Speaking of veggies, my Charlie bought me a really nice juicer. I have been experimenting with mostly fruits, and carrots. This week, I saw where two friends have been juicing and decided I needed branch out of my fruity comfort zone.

Amber has a really cool idea for "Green Smoothies". She makes "green" ice cubes, which saves time in in the long run. I love that idea. You definitely should check out her blog for a yummy recipe! It's next on my list to try! I will let you know how it goes. (If you are interested in adoption, Amber is a great source to talk to. She and her husband adopted a sweet and handsome little man!)

Another recent juicer is Sunday. She and her husband are on a 10 day juice fast so I fully expect her blog to have superb juicing recipes. (If you are interested in life while raising two young boys with autism... Sunday is your girl. She's doing a fabulous job taking each day with a grain of salt in that department!)

As for me, I tried a recipe of my own. I took a few ideas found on my "Juicer" app. There really is an app for everything.
My recipe is called:
"Green Lemonade"
I used a small handful (just enough to fill your palm) of kale, a small handful of parsley, 2 stalks of celery, a small handful of baby spinach, 1 cucumber, 1 green apple, 1 red apple, 1 large lemon, 1 banana.
I juiced the apples, lemon, cucumber, & celery. Then poured the juice, along with all the leafy veggies in the blender... Added a banana and a handful of ice cubes. It was seriously yummy! And oh so healthy! (Next time, I might add 2 green apples & more lemon for a sweeter taste - but it was a tasty treat nonetheless!)

Other news on the home front... I completed my second half marathon. It was so "fun"... (if I am allowed to say that) ...Just the rush I got from accomplishing such a feat! I completed the 13.1 miles in 2 hrs 17 mins. I won second in my category - which was a nice surprise. I ran 8 mins slower than my first half marathon, but I am also fatter (ha!).
I have a third half marathon on March 4 in NOLA. I am running 10 miles this Saturday morning in preparation.

ADHD in full force these days. I have lost my 2nd wedding ring. This saddens me to great depths. Mostly because I am so forgetful of everything ... All the time. It's just not a fun life to live. One where you can't even remember what you did 10 mins ago, even less 10 days ago. I have racked my brain and stressed out trying to think of where I left it, ...though I am quite certain it fell behind something and I forgot to get it. So, please check your house... Behind every piece of furniture you own... And tell me if you find it.

So, I have been painting lately. Well, one painting. Ha! I sold a painting which is nice for the Stay-At-Home-Mom pocketbook! I am working on a piece to donate for the American Heart Association. It will be a good way to get my name out there. The piece will have a good bit of red for the AHA. I have an empathetic heart for people with heart disease, since my Lennon was born with a heart defect and had open heart surgery.

Anyways - kind of a boring post. I was pressed for time and since my home computer is acting a donkey, I had to do this post on my cracked screen iPhone.

Three things I need to be better at:
1 - taking care of iPhones / screens - on my 3rd, maybe 4th, one so far.
2 - keeping up with wedding rings - or my wedding ring. You can keep up with your own!
3 - walk more gently & make my shoes last longer - I am so hard on shoes!

2 comments:

The Mustard Seed said...

never heard of the ketchup thing, but bet it's good!

Amy said...

Our son also had open heart surgery when he was an infant. My heart goes out to you and your family for it is quite a shock.

Take care!