Monday, August 9, 2010

An Old Soul

Dr O'Boyle (Pediatric ICU Dr): Robin, is your sister a hippie?
Robin: What?! No.

Dr O'Boyle: Does she like the 60s? I think she might be a hippie.
Robin: I mean, her house is kind of retro eclectic? I mean, I don't think she's a hippie tho.
Dr O'Boyle: Yeah, that's what I thought. She's a hippie.

I am not sure if that is how it went... but that was basically the conversation between my sister, Robin and the PICU Dr at St. Francis. I laughed so hard because I was shocked. But the more I thought about it... the more it seemed to fit my personality. Come to think of it.... there is a lot about me that could be described as a hippie. Obviously there is a lot about me that also could not be described as a hippie... like I do shave my armpits and I do wear a bra.
I wonder if things like this have anything to do with our parents and the way we were raised. Like, my dad was big into music and I remember him playing it while he worked out on his VW Bug or his truck or while he grilled or while he was welding whatever new thing he was building. Maybe we just get stuck in an era? I mean, I was born in the late 70s. Maybe my soul still resides there?
Even in high school, I found a closet full of my aunt's old clothes and I wore every bit of it to school and I can remember my "friends" saying I was "the different one" or even calling me weird... but I didn't want to wear bell bottoms just on "hippie day". I wanted to butt cut my long hair and wear anything that reminded me of the 60's or 70's. I am proud to say I also owned a t-shirt with a big picture of Greg Brady on it. I wore a lot of tye dye and a lot of denim.
I still say "groovy" when I really like something.
Maybe that is why I fell so easily into drugs and that whole scene? I liked the big giant JNCO pants... they reminded me of bell bottoms, just an extreme version. I have always liked trippy looking things, like swirls.... I like the natural elements like flowers and wood. I prefer to be barefoot in grass. My favorite thing is to sit outside and stare at the stars and talk. I can still get into a deep deep conversation with someone about something and take it way beyond what most people would... trying to reason it out or find the root of what caused it to be that way.
I named my children "Lake" and "Lennon".... unintentionally thinking of it being hippy-ish. However, they both have that hippy element... Lennon for obvious reasons. My house definitely has that retro vibe with the blue walls and orange and green accents. Swirls and stripes and flower patterns... birds and trees and all things calming. I love old furniture, bought at garage sales and the Goodwill, redone with mild modern touches.
I believe the woman is made to be a mom and stay at home. I believe in tapping into your creative side as often as you can. I believe in color and lots of it. No beige here. I believe flowy cotton clothing is the key to happiness. I believe in climbing trees until you are too old to walk.
Even tonight, I started to make a play list of songs I wanted to listen to while soaking up the sun in Cancun. The songs that I chose... most, well almost all of them, are from the 60s and 70s. With artists like, The Beattles, Bob Seger, Steve Miller Band, The Mamas and The Papas, Lynyrd Skynyrd.... and so many more.... even the more recent artists that remind me of those artists made the cut. Creating that play list is what got me to thinking about all this... So... I guess, deep down, I just have an old soul. An old soul who is, and always will be, young at heart.

No comments: